The Ancient Battuti School is an institute providing services dedicated to elderly, established in 1300; with a history exceeding 700 years, this school is one of the oldest institutes in town. As an integral part of the service network for the community, it offers essential assistance in terms of “residential” and “nonresidential” facilities, featuring a cutting-hedge center approaching, with modern and articulated solutions, the family needs and nowadays society challenges.
The Institute hosts more than 300 users accommodated in various pavilions, which were built at different stages and times; like a small citadel on the old historical town edge, it is characterized by green zones covering the buildings connecting areas.
The project envisages the requalification and enlargement of block “D” intended to increase the guests’ targeted service range and indoor comfort, in an innovative and people-oriented way, respectful of people’s body and mind balance for their general well-being. The creation of a large and lightful living room helps the sunlight into the central corridor breaking the functional monotony; together with the strongly home-featured rooms, it forms the essential elements of the developed architectural concept.
The technological components integration was focused on those simple benchmarks for the completion of the project’s details in terms of structure and systems, making it a model for the future methodological reference of the entire complex.
Among the design concept fundamentals, worth mentioning is the radical transformation of the single-block type building with long dark and monotone corridors, by the inclusion of a new area, central to the longitudinal axis, breaking the corridor and letting the sunlight in the building’s core. Thanks to this “break”, more functional and bright spaces are obtained in the layout center to host the guests’ social time, thus providing outdoors views.
The interior design project was developed to create intimate homelike areas helping the users forget about the “hospital”.